Monday, April 8, 2013

say what? first post!

.....First post, first post. So much pressure.

Let's see. I suppose the beginning is a great place to start (not to go all Sound of Music on whoever is reading this...)

So. Yes. Ok. (I obviously have issues initiating.)


Anyway.


I'm currently in my late 20's and am inching (or galloping violently, depending on how I choose to look at it) my way to the end of the the fourth year of medical school. It's been a ride, not always a pleasant one (sometimes I'm not even sure if it was a necessary one...), but nevertheless it's coming to an end and for all that's worth I'm glad I can finally see the ribbon I'm about to rip through in May (aka graduation). 


With that, comes a paralyzing fear of the shower of responsibilities that will burst like from a pinata on July 1st once I enter my new place of employment and begin training to be a pediatrician. 


I can't really honestly identify when the whole doctor thing became an idea. All I know is that the caption under my elementary school picture lists "pediatrician" as a career goal. I should put that on a resume....way to prove commitment, right? 


Anyway, I tried to branch out in college and test the waters, ended up doing a lot of pretty cool things, and crawled back to pre-meds emotionally abusive arms. 


It got worse before it got a little better. 


Although there was a mutual animosity between physics and chemistry and myself, biology and the life sciences balanced out the pain of word problems and mathematical equations. I triumphed.... and then wasn't so sure I did once I actually started med school and realized there was a whole LOT MORE WORK involved. 


Blood, sweat, tears, all nighters. Sometimes I wish I had documented that journey more thoroughly. Yet as much as I would love for others to know about the 4 hr anatomy lab sessions digging through the insides of preserved dead bodies, or the 12 hr library camp-outs, I'm not sure the read would have been as entertaining as the torture of the actual experience. 


Plus no post can really describe the sensation of the permanent smell of formaldehyde while you're chewing on pasta after dissecting someone's colon. But let me refrain from memory triggers. 


So with that...back to the blog.

Sticky... Situations. Notes. Kids. Life lessons. Drippy ice cream cones. Lip gloss. All wrapped into one and then some. I hope to reflect on multiple facets of life as a resident, a 20 going on 30 something, a career-oriented female wanting both the career and the non career-oriented female life, and just a voice for whoever feels like stopping by. 

I hope this gets interesting. 


Peace and lollipops.

- Kid Doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment