Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Perks of Being a Medical Student.

I'm cooling off at a Panera Bread. Why?

Because it is early April, it is over 90 degrees outside, and we just learned that the air conditioning at the house which I share with multiple roommates is broken. That's right. I'm in my late 20's and I still cannot afford my own living space, but have been shelling out over 50 grand for tuition over the past 4 years. Logical this is not. Socially acceptable, yes. It appears to be appropriate to spend more in tuition each year than the average American starting salary and not be able to afford a personal 1 bedroom apartment. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture?


So back to the lack of assistance from electrical advances of the past few decades. Mother Nature didn't exactly turn the thermostat up gradually, but decided to shock us into subservience by going from 40 something degrees to 80, then 90 something in the course of one day (which is what often happens in the region where I attend medical school). This pretty much left us panting like dehydrated dogs after we realized that the AC was blowing hot air into each of our rooms, and of course these things take time to get fixed if you're living in a privately owned house with an owner who does it all himself. Not that he's not great about these things; he is, but instant gratification has taught us to pay for and rely on a system that caters to our whims, and our whims get whiney within a few hours if not catered to instantly. 


Our internet also decided to rebel. We called the cable company twice and it kept on just timing out. And of course, the person at the cable company had no idea what else to do besides reset the modem and the router over and over.... and over again, solving nothing. Sigh. The joys of the 21st century. 


On a brighter note I ended up selling all my old furniture, which means all I really need to bring with me when I move for residency is anything that will fit in my car and leave a small patch in the rearview mirror to be able to maneuver semi-safely between lanes of traffic. Score. Cash and less things to move.


It's the little things. 

- Kid Doctor



No comments:

Post a Comment